Jennifer Ann Aquino
Author • International Educator • Speaker
Guiding young adults to become more self-aware, empathetic human beings & to take ownership over their own lives
Jennifer Ann Aquino
Photography by Antonio Roulet Magides
Teaching is at the core of my work. My mom and dad are retired school teachers. Same for my aunt and uncle. Cousins? Yes. And second cousins, too. It's something that comes naturally to us. Childhood friends will roll their eyes when we talk about how I used to make workbooks and lesson plans and give them homework (which they did not do) as kids growing up in Amherst, NY.
When I went to university I was passionate about learning languages. And also about studying sciences. So I did both. The question never really came up of "What can you possibly do with those two very different fields?" Instead it was a matter of following interests. Developing passions.
This is what I teach my families and students.
After years of experience teaching in the classroom, working as an editor for high school and university level textbooks at global publishers (Romance Languages and Sciences! The connection is made!), and working in administration in international higher education the launching of my own consultancy seemed like a natural progression based on what families were telling me they needed combined with my professional and personal experience.
I currently live between Asia and Europe. I am American and speak Spanish at home. I read Le Temps (Swiss newspaper) yet struggle to speak French well; I'm currently in HSK Level 3, Chinese. I have learned so much from the various host countries and cultures I have lived and worked many years in--Boston, Madrid, Singapore, Auckland. Yet I have learned most from my remarkable students.
Thank you for visiting.
• Award-winning author of The International Family Guide to US University Admissions, Wiley & Sons, 2017
Winner, Education Category, International Book Awards, 2018
Gold Winner, Educational Category, Literary Classics International Book Awards, 2018
First Place, Education Category, Royal Dragonfly Book Awards, 2018
• First-hand experience throughout Asia, Europe, the Middle East and Latin America with expat, international and local students and families guiding them through the university process for US, UK, Canada, Europe, Asia, South Pacific.
• Personally visited with admissions officers and staff at over 300 universities worldwide in professional context.
• Member of International ACAC (International Association of College Admissions Counselors) and Professional Member of IECA (Independent Educational Consultants Association)
• Appointed Member, Global Committee, IECA, 2017-2019
• Former Lead Recruiter, Undergraduate Admissions, Southeast Asia & India (Bentley University, USA)
• Former Director of Education Abroad (Bentley University, USA)
• Former Managing Director, MBA (IE Business School, Spain)
• Former Director of International Advancement (Bentley University, USA)
• Former Teacher of AP Biology, coach and dorm-parent (The Gunnery School, USA)
• Former developmental editor of high school and college textbooks (Heinle & Heinle; HRW)
• Appointed to Global Business Advisory Council advising Dean of Business 2014-2016, Bentley University, USA
• External Reviewer 2016, NACAC Guide to International University Admission
• Boston College (BS, Biology; BA, Spanish; pre-medical concentration)
• Middlebury College (Masters of Arts, Spanish Language & Literature)
• Admitted and attended: Harvard Graduate School of Arts & Sciences
EduTech Asia, October 2018: Implementing & executing a successful guidance programme that meets student, parent and school expectations.
IECA Global Webinar Series, October 2018: Helping the Global Student Find her Best Fit for University
Harvard University Association of Alumni in Singapore, July 2017: "The Importance of Knowing Yourself - Encouraging Teens to discover and champion their individual strengths to put their strongest selves forward for life"
EduTech Asia, November 2017: "Leveraging your guidance programme into the branding of your school"
ISCA (International School Counselor Association), Annual Conference 2018, Bangkok: "The University Application Process as a Change-Agent: Helping Students/Families Grow Genuinely Through the Process"
AASSA (Association of American Schools in South America), Annual Conference 2018, Quito: "The university application process as a change-agent: Helping students/families grow genuinely through the process."
Languages: Native English, fluent Spanish. Intermediate French. Beginner-Intermediate Chinese (HSK 3).